Blueberries…yum! Blueberry pancakes…yum, yum, yum! When my daughter wanted to make me a Mother’s Day breakfast she chose blueberry pancakes 😀 Everyone knows I love blueberries. Really, what’s not to love? They are little round balls of sweet deliciousness and loaded with great antioxidants.
Blueberries are full of antioxidants in the form of flavonoids. The flavonoid anthocyanin (found in blueberries) is a pigment that gives many foods their shades of blue, purple, and red. They function as anti-inflammatory compounds in our body. A study from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, showed that out of 100 different foods tested blueberries had some of the highest levels of antioxidants.
Eating blueberries gives our bodies many benefits….
- Studies have shown that blueberries contain a bacteria-blocking substance that helps guard against urinary tract infection
- Nutrients in blueberries have anti-inflammatory effects that reduce the risk of heart disease and certain cancers
- There is evidence that damage to muscles following strenuous exercise can be reduced by eating blueberries
- Blueberries have been shown to protect us against oxidative stress in the brain and may help protect against Alzheimer’s disease
What’s an Antioxidant
Antioxidants are the super-heroes of the body. Free radicals (harmful molecules of oxygen) circulate in the body, antioxidants allow the free radicals to bond to them, this then neutralizes the free radical. Free radicals can destroy body cells and as we age we have more free radicals, so it is important to have a diet rich in antioxidants.
Potassium 114 mg
Vitamin C 14 mg
Vitamin A 80 IU
Vitamin K 29 µg
These delicious pancakes are studded with warm blueberries! These pancakes are quick and easy to make any day of the week.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup water
- 11 oz Fresh blueberries
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Mix well using a whisk.
- Lightly beat eggs in a small bowl. Add yogurt, butter, and vanilla to eggs; whisk until smooth.
- Pour liquid mixture into flour bowl. Gradually whisk in water to combine ingredients. Whisk until smooth.
- Heat nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Coat pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pour about ¼ cup batter in skillet. Evenly space 5-6 blueberries on top of batter. Cook on each side for about 1 minute. Flip carefully so, you don't burst blueberries.
I love pancakes, but I also want them to keep me full. I add Greek yogurt for protein to give these pancakes some great staying power 😀
You will love these Fresh Blueberry Pancakes they are light, fluffy, and bursting with fresh blueberry flavor.
My Strawberry and Cream Cheesecake Pancakes are another way to get some extra protein in your pancakes…