I love a meal that is full of nutrients! Stir fry is one meal that is easy to load with lots of great vegetables. All those bright colors just yell…I’m good for you! 😀 Stir-fry is my go-to meal when I want something fast and filling. My Chicken and Green Bean, Bell Pepper, Mushroom Stir-Fry is exactly that…
Green beans are loaded with antioxidants. Green beans provide great phytonutrients such as lutein, beta-carotene, catechins, green beans also have vitamin C, manganese and small amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids. Together the nutrients in green beans help protect against cardiovascular disease, inflammation, and free radicals. Green beans are best prepared by steaming to prevent loss of valuable nutrients.
Green Bean Nutrition
- Calories 31
- Calcium 37 mg
- Magnesium 25 mg
- Phosphorus 38 mg
- Potassium 211 mg
- Vitamin C 12 mg
- Vitamin A 690 IU
- Vitamin K 14 µg
- 1 lb chicken breast, trimmed, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ lb green beans, trimmed, cut in half
- 1 red bell pepper, diced 1" pieces
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- ½ tbsp honey
- Trim and visible fat from chicken, cut into ½ pieces. Mix chicken, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, garlic clove in a medium bowl.
- Mix remaining 3 tablespoons soy sauce, hoisin sauce and honey in small bowl; set aside.
- Place green beans in a saucepan with ¼ cup of water, cover and let steam until they are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken mixture; cook until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to dish, cover and keep warm.
- SautÃ© mushrooms in skillet until lightly browned. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil; add ginger, and remaining garlic; cook 1 minute. Add bell pepper and cook until slightly tender, about 2 minutes. Add green beans, toss to coat. Return chicken to pan along with reserved soy sauce mixture; stir until heated through, about 3-5 minute.
- Serve warm.
My Chicken and Green Bean, Bell Pepper, Mushroom Stir-Fry meets all my requirements for a quick and healthy meal. It is delicious and explodes with great flavors. I use to not like making a stir-fry at home, until I discovered hoisin sauce. Hoisin sauce has a complex flavor, it is made from soybeans, garlic, chiles, along with some spices. This hoisin sauce gives the dish a beautiful caramel color and slightly spicy flavor that compliments the chicken and crisp vegetables perfectly. Once, you have some hoisin sauce on hand you can also make our family favorite… Hot Hoisin Chicken.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics