I see my basil outside and know it won’t last long since the weather is changing. My husband isn’t a fan of pesto, so I can only use it in small amounts. I feel panicked and have been using them in anything and everything! I love fresh herbs, they give food a great boost of flavor. Combine fresh herbs with fresh lemons and you have a delicious easy to prepare dinner.
Basil is a good source of vitamin K. Vitamin K is important for blood coagulation and our bone health. Basil also provides vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene. Beta-carotene helps protect our body from free-radical damage and reduces the risk for cardiovascular disease. Basil contains nutrients like magnesium, calcium, folate, potassium, iron, and vitamin C.
Fresh Basil Nutrition
Vitamin A 280 IU
Vitamin K 22 mcg
Spicy Lemon Basil Chicken is one of my favorite go-to quick cooking meals. This chicken pairs well with just about any fresh vegetable.
I love when I find a dish that is easy to prepare and big in flavor. Spicy Lemon Basil Chicken is just that…the fresh basil and lemon juice give the chicken a bright burst of flavor, while the Tabasco gives a nice kick.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Trim any visible fat from chicken. Season each chicken breast with salt and pepper. In a small bowl mix panko, basil and garlic together with a fork, to break up the garlic. Coat both sides of chicken with the panko mixture.
- Whisk lemon juice, honey, Tabasco together in a small bowl, set aside.
- Add olive oil to a large nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Add chicken to skillet and brown both side and cook until done, about 10-12 minutes.
- Pour lemon sauce over the chicken, cook 1 minute. Flip to coat both sides.
- Serve and enjoy.