I don’t know about you, but I am pitching the Halloween candy. My daughter went trick-or-treating and came back with a sack full of candy! Poor little sweetie has braces, so she can’t eat 95% of what is in the bag. I doubt she would want to eat most of what is in there, yet having it around is torture. Not torture to resist, but torture to be reminded of all the foods you can’t eat when you have braces. Kind of a bummer for her, but she will have a beautiful smile.
I’ve got cleaning on my schedule today, but before I get started a good breakfast is planned!
I love frittatas. They are so quick and easy to prepare. If you haven’t had one they are very similar to a quiche without the crust. I actually like to make this, cut it into wedges and freeze. A frittata wedge makes for a quick and healthy breakfast. The night before, I move one from the freezer to the fridge and then in the morning microwave it for a minute.
Frittatas cook really quickly, you will want to have your ingredients prepped and ready. I don’t like to have the milk out until I’m ready to use it, so it missed being in the picture. I like to use Smart Balance in place of butter to cut the fat used. Smart Balance contains plant sterols, which are known to help reduce the amount of cholesterol that is absorbed by the body. This can help reduce your overall cholesterol levels.
- 4 tsp butter spread, divided
- ½ cup cremini mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 5 large eggs
- ½ cup fat-free milk
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled
- In a oven proof skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of butter spread. Add sliced mushrooms and sauté until lightly browned. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- In a large mixing bowl combine eggs and milk, whisk. Season with pepper.
- Add 2 teaspoons of butter spread to pan. Melt and move around pan to coat bottom and sides.
- Pour in egg mixture.
- Layer spinach and mushrooms into the egg.
- Top with feta cheese.
- Gently shake skillet to distribute the eggs into the spinach and mushrooms. Let bottom set for 1-2 minutes.
- Place skillet under broiler and cook until frittata has risen and is lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes. Checking often, so it doesn't over brown.
- Check for doneness with toothpick.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
My Spinach, Mushroom and Feta Frittata provides a great variety of nutrients and is deliciously light and savory. You will love the feta cheese, it lends a nice zest that elevates the flavor of the frittata and makes your taste buds happy.