There are certain foods that always come to mind when the weather begins to turn cold. You know, when the clouds come in and you feel the chill in the air? That’s when I want a hot bowl of my Three Bean Turkey Chili.
I’ve been making this chili for years! It is quick, easy to make, and it is always a hit in our house. It is loaded with fiber rich beans, ground turkey, tomatoes, and green chiles.
I love beans; they are excellent sources of protein, soluble, and insoluble fiber. Beans are good sources of folate, iron, magnesium, and potassium. The other thing that is great about beans is they are digested and absorbed slowly. This means they will keep you feeling full and don’t cause a spike in blood sugar levels.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 (16 oz) can reduced sodium light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 oz) can reduced sodium pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can chili beans
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced red tomatoes
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1(4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 cups water
- In a large pot brown ground turkey over medium heat; drain off the fat.
- Add onions to meat and sauté until soft. Add garlic, sauté until fragrant.
- Add beans, tomatoes, chiles, and seasoning to the pot.
- Cover with water and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent chili from sticking to pot.
A bowl of this healthy, hearty chili is sure to warm you up. It is a delicious flavor and texture combination with a little spicy kick. I add only one can of the green chiles because my kiddos aren’t fans of spicy food, but you can surely add more.