My husband walks into the kitchen and his expression says it all…Did a bomb explode in here?! Stuff is everywhere! Drawers opened, bottles and containers on the counter, measuring cups and bowls stacked in the sink. Ugh!
All I can do is shrug and give my mom’s favorite saying…a messy cook is a sign of a good cook. 😀
I love cooking, but sometimes the meal can be so complex that it requires lot of ingredients, several spoons, spatulas, different bowls, several pans, etc. That makes a terrible mess! Let’s face it, cleaning up is not as much fun as making the mess.
Hands up…who’s with me here? Yep, just as I thought. So, anytime I can make a meal in one pan and create as little mess as possible... I’m all in!
My Southwestern Chicken Skillet is a healthy and hearty dinner all in one skillet! This dinner is so easy to make.
Seriously, the only thing that requires any effort is cutting up the chicken. Once that part is done, add the chicken to the skillet, brown it, add the veggies, and voila! A delicious dinner is ready to be served.
I serve this up in some warm blue corn & flax tortillas. Top with some Monterey Jack cheese and this is just delicious! This dinner is so good you’ll want to keep going back for more.
In one skillet, you get a low-fat, filling, protein rich dinner with veggies mixed in.
The extra bonus is less mess to cleanup! Aside from the skillet, toss everything else into the dishwasher and you’ll be relaxing on the sofa before you know it!
Zesty chicken, creamy black beans, crunchy red bell pepper, sweet corn, and cilantro…dinner is ready.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 can reduced sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- Monterey Jack cheese
- Flour tortillas
- In a small bowl combine cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne. Sprinkle seasoning over chicken, toss to coat.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add chicken to pan in a single layer. Brown chicken and continue to cook until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes; transfer to bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and bell pepper to pan. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Return chicken to the pan, add the beans, corn, and water. Stir to combine.
- Cook until beans and corn are heated through.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Serve on flour tortillas and top with Monterey Jack cheese.