If you love chocolate then these are the cookies for you! They are full of rich chocolate flavor. They are full of chocolate chips, moist with soft chewy brownie-like center, and a little crisp on the outside.
I haven’t made cookies for months. Well, I have made cookies, but I was suffering from some serious brain fog and kept messing up the recipes. You know things like, when the recipe calls for 2 cups of flour and I only add one. If you are looking for paper-thin cookies…that’s how you get them.
Okay, so when I decided to make these cookies first thing I did was mis en place all the ingredients. Mis en place (me-zahn-plahs) is also known as ‘get all your ingredients in front of you before you start’. Mis en place just sounds fancier 😀
It’s a simple step that keeps you from making mistakes. Obviously, I left this step out during my brain fog.
If you have been following, you probably already know that I’m a perfectionist, type-A, obsessive person. When I mess something up, I really beat myself up. After 2 bad cookie baking experiences I was determined to make an amazing cookie.
My daughter volunteered to tackle these cookies with me. Of course, the first thing she tells me is what I always tell her…mis en place. Haha Smarty pants!
We thumb through some of my recipes trying to decide which to make. She suggests chocolate cookies. I think dark chocolate and chocolate chips. So, I ask her…”Is that too much chocolate?” She laughs and says, “Mom, you can never have too much chocolate.”
Kids are super impressionable. My friend said that same thing in front of her three years ago, when she was 10.
This dear friend of mine loves to say you can never have enough sweets or enough chocolate. My daughter loves this and has taken it on as her new motto. She, of course, hears and remembers this all while my Nutrition talk is just blah, blah, blah. Silly girl, but I know she is listening 😀
One thing she is right about…these are the perfect amount of chocolate! These are a delicious combination of dark chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips. These cookies are AMAZING! They are full of chocolate chips, moist with soft chewy brownie-like center, and a little crisp on the outside.
Nutritionally, dark chocolate does have its benefits. In my most recent Nutrition journal, I read another confirmation that it contains great antioxidants that can help prevent cardiovascular and heart disease. It also talked about its ability to lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels. I’m all for that!
Best of all research that says it can improve your mood. I totally agree with that because a little chocolate always makes me super happy 😀
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup 0% plain greek yogurt
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt with a whisk. Whisk until you can no longer see white.
- In a mixer cream butter and sugars. Add in yogurt and mix just until combined.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix on medium speed until fluffy.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture a little at a time. Mix until combined.
- Slowly add in the chocolate chips, reserving ½ a cup of chips.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment or silpats.
- Evenly drop cookie dough using a tablespoon scoop onto cookie sheet. Place a few of the reserved chocolate chips onto each cookie prior to baking.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.