When I was a kid, having donuts was always a special treat. Sunday after church, if we were lucky we’d get to stop at the bakery and get to pick a donut.
You can only imagine how hard it is for a kid to pick one donut. This didn’t happen too often, so it was a big decision to make. We’d stand at the counter looking at everything they had to offer.
My choice was almost always the chocolate frosted donut. I’d try a glazed or a sprinkle, but the chocolate one was my favorite. It’s the best of two things I love…bread and chocolate. 😀
I loved this little bakery and it was near my high school. So, when I finally was driving some days I would leave the house a little early to stop and get a donut and milk for breakfast before school.
Of course, this was back in the day when I had a super high metabolism and could eat anything and everything.
Thankfully, I figured out to make a donut a bit healthier. First, I bake them and then I use great ingredients like white whole wheat flour and a little Greek yogurt.
I’ve said it many times…I love using white whole wheat flour. It is a whole grain and it has a lighter texture and flavor compared to whole wheat flour. Whole grain flour is so much better for you than all-purpose flour.
Whole grains are awesome because they are grains that are intact with their bran and germ layers.
The bran is fibrous and full of B vitamins, antioxidants, iron, since, magnesium, and fiber.
Then the germ layer has more B vitamins and antioxidants, vitamin E, and unsaturated fats.
You also get the endosperm, which is mostly starch and some protein. The endosperm is the only part of wheat used to make all-purpose flour. So, you can see how whole grain would be better 😀
Since these are baked they have a lower fat content than traditional fried donuts. The best part is now I can eat a whole pan without feeling guilty. Just kidding! That could have easily been 16-year-old Cindy, but this Cindy knows better 😀
Is it weird to talk about yourself in the 3rd person form? Yeah, maybe a little 😀
What matters is these baked chocolate frosted donuts are so quick and easy to make. They are so tender and delicious plain, but make these extraordinary by dipping them in some easy to prepare chocolate ganache.
This is my go-to chocolate ganache recipe. It always produces silky smooth chocolate.
I’m on BlogHer! Now you can follow me there too.
- 1 cup (120g) white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp skim milk
- ¼ cup 0% plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cinnamon with a whisk.
- In a small bowl beat one egg. Add milk, yogurt, vanilla and whisk until throughly combined.
- Add the wet ingredients and butter to the flour mixture. Stir with plastic spatula to combine ingredients.
- Spray donut pan with non-stick spray. Fill each well ¾ full with batter.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool slightly before dipping in ganache.
- In a medium saucepan bring heavy cream to a slight boil over medium high heat.
- Once bubbles begin to form along sides, lower heat to low and add in the chocolate chips.
- Whisk chocolate and cream together until chocolate chips are melted.
- The ganache will start off a very light brown and darken into a silky mixture.
- Remove from heat and cool before dipping donuts.
I broke the nutrition down into a single donut and the chocolate ganache separately….
Chocolate Ganache Nutrition