Smoothies can serve as a great meal replacement. They are very convenient for feeding your body when you are in a hurry. You easily throw some good foods in a blender and you no excuse to not eat something that is good for you. Another great thing about smoothies is because they are blended they have a high volume to make you feel full. This means you eat less, get great nutrients and still feel satisfied.
We Are 2fit2 Quit has posted some great weekly challenges and this week he proposes we replace one meal with a shake. 😀 Of course, he doesn’t let you off that easy…for every ingredient you use in your smoothie you have to do 5 squat jumps. So, I came with an Awesome Antioxidant Smoothie…
Antioxidants are nutrients in food that protect your cells from damage from free radicals.
- Free radicals are unstable molecules that can damage our bodies cells. Free radicals are created by environmental factors as well as from the foods we digest.
- Damage to our cells may increase the risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, or memory loss.
Types of Antioxidants
Come from many different nutrients such as:
• Vitamin A
• Vitamin C
• Vitamin E
• Beta carotene
- 1 cup frozen berry blend (strawberries, raspberries, pomegranate, blueberries, cherries)
- 4 oz plain nonfat greek yogurt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 Tbsp milled flax
- Add ingredients into blender in the order listed.
- Blend until smooth.
- You can add water if smoothie is too thick.
This Antioxidant Smoothie is a great way to fuel your body and get great nutrients and lots of antioxidants. I better get to my squat jumps…
Antioxidants: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics