I just love the weekends! They are the best for quality family time, relaxing, and sleeping in. When you are the parent of a young child you do not have the luxury of sleeping in. Kids seem to have this alarm clock in their body that wakes them up bright and early. Seriously, everyday my son would wake up at 5 am! When he was around 3 or 4 years old, we got him a clock for his bedroom. He knew his numbers, so we told him he could only come into our bedroom when the first number was 6. Sure enough it would be 6:00 am and he would run in, and say the clock says 6. Good Morning!
Fast forward to the present and it is such a different picture. We can sleep in as late as we wish. It’s a beautiful thing! Although, I must be catching up from all those years of super early rising. I can SLEEP! My husband, not so much. He is bright eyed and ready to get the day started at 7 am.
My teens take full advantage of some extra sleep. Most weekends they make it downstairs around 10 or 11 am. and always ready for breakfast. It can be practically lunch time, but they still want breakfast.
That’s where these little beauties come in! I love muffins for breakfast. My Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins are perfect for breakfast! I can make them when my husband and I are up and they are still warm when our guys make it downstairs.
I used my normal technique of grinding the oats into a flour before mixing them into the batter. When the oats are ground up, you know they will absorb the liquids and help produce a moist muffin.
It is also important to let the batter rest before scooping into your muffin tin. These little guys need time to absorb the liquids, so they rise perfectly.
These muffins are a combination of my favorites…oats and blueberries. I just can’t seem to get enough of these two foods! I added some sparkling sugar on top of these toward the end of baking. I like the sweetness and the slight crunch it gives to these muffins.
These whole grain muffins are absolutely delicious and bursting with fresh blueberries! They are moist and so soft.
Just look at all those delicious blueberries in there! Yum! These are perfect for getting your day started and keeping you feeling full.
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1½ cup whole white wheat flour
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1¾ cup skim milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and picked
- 2 tbsp whole white wheat flour
- ¼ cup sparkling sugar
- Pulse oats in a food processor until finely ground
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; pulse several time to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl lightly whisk eggs.
- Add the sugars to the bowl; stir to combine.
- Add butter, milk, and vanilla; continue to whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Gradually add the oat flour mixture to the wet ingredients; stirring to prevent lumps.
- Once all the flour has been added stir a few more times to make sure all the flour is blended.
- Gently toss fresh blueberries in 2 tablespoons of flour, then fold into batter.
- Let batter rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare muffin tin by coating cups with a non-stick spray with flour.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then sprinkle muffins with sparkling sugar.
- Continue to bake for another 5-8 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.