Growing up in Texas breakfast tacos were a common thing. Yes, they aren’t the healthiest of foods out there but, they taste good. 😀 In my quest to create healthier foods, I created Healthy Breakfast Tacos…
Eggs are a great source of protein. They actually provide the most bioavailable source of protein for your body. That means your body can easily and most effectively use the protein from eggs. The protein in eggs contains all the essential amino acids. Eggs are high in choline and are excellent sources of selenium and riboflavin. Eggs have lutein and zeaxanthin that help protect eyes.
Egg whites provide about 1.5 times as much protein as the yolk. Except for protein, most of an egg’s nutrients are in the yolk.
1 Large Egg
Protein 6 grams
Calcium 28 mg
Phosophorus 99 mg
Potassium 69 mg
Vitamin A 270 IU
Vitamin D 41 IU
- 3 large eggs
- 1 small red potato
- salt & pepper
- ½ Tbsp Smart Balance butter
- 2 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 corn tortillas
- Cook potato in microwave. Slice and cut into thin strips.
- In a small sauté pan heat butter over medium heat. Add potato to pan and lightly brown potato, season with salt and pepper.
- Add eggs to potato. Stir to scramble and combine.
- Wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel. Heat in microwave for about 45 seconds.
- Place equal amounts in each tortilla and top with shredded cheese.
Top with a little salsa and these are a fast, easy, and healthy way to start the day off right. You can also use an egg substitute for this recipe. I love that these taste great and don’t have all the fat of traditional breakfast tacos.