Summer may be coming to an end around here, but one thing that I find great year round is a corn muffin. These little muffins go so perfectly with so many meals. I like them with soups, stews, chili, and I also love them with BBQ.
It must be the Southerner in me, but cornbread and BBQ just go hand-in-hand.
We were having some friends over to our house for a barbecue and these muffins were at the top of my menu.
Something about corn muffins that just makes me happy.
Smear a little butter over a hot steamy cornbread muffin and I could eat these as a meal!
I have seen and eaten a lot of corn muffins in my life and they are by far the best!
They are so tender and moist.
My secret…I use sour cream and creamed corn in the mix. They practically melt in your mouth.
Since this recipe has both corn and cornmeal, you get a good concentration of the carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin. These are great for your eyes.
Corn also has a high ratio of insoluble-to-soluble fiber, which makes it a really good source of fiber.
Delicious and nutritional benefits…what could be better than that?!
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 8 oz can creamed corn
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a small bowl sift cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk eggs and oil together for a minute.
- Add sour cream and corn and whisk into the egg mixture.
- Add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir just until batter is blended.
- Using a muffins scoop or spoon fill each muffin cup half full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.
- Makes 12 muffins