When you are busy or working a lot, nothing is better than getting home and dinner is already done. Now it would be nice if I had a little fairy that would come in while I was away and cook up something tasty. Oh, and while she’s there she could clean up the house and fold the laundry. Wouldn’t that be awesome!! Reality tells me that just isn’t going to happen. So, that is where my trustworthy crockpot comes to the rescue.
My crockpot has been with me since I got married. That’s nearly 18 years my friends! Ugh, I just made myself feel really old. A little off track, but one thing that makes me feel better is when I tell people how old my children are. They almost always give me a furrowed brow and a jaw-drop. 😀 They say things like “is that even possible”, and “you must have been a baby when you had them!” Haha!
So, back to my old crockpot. This dependable appliance has saved me so many times. It goes to work for me and when I walk through the door, I can smell dinner is ready.
I don’t have a lot of crockpot recipes, but I have been finding a lot that I want to try. For the longest time, it seemed like everything I’d make in the crockpot kind of tasted the same. That is up until I discovered this crockpot shredded beef! It is one of our favorites!
This beef is deliciously flavorful and moist. The best part I use a leaner beef to prepare this recipe. I like to use the Tri-tip cut for this shredded beef. It is cut from the sirloin and is really tender.
The Tri-tip has 7 grams of fat, 23 grams of protein and 158 calories per 3 ounces of cooked meat. Like most beef cuts, it is a great source of protein, vitamin B12, since, selenium, niacin, iron, and riboflavin.
Just imagine coming home and smelling this delicious beef simmering. You didn’t have to hurry home to get dinner started, and your family can’t wait to sit down for dinner.
- 5 lbs Tri-tip roast
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup water
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- Season beef with salt and pepper. In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the beef to the pan and brown on both sides, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the pan and sauté until fragrant.
- Transfer beef to the crock pot and deglaze the pan with ½ cup of water, add to crock pot.
- Top beef with onions, beef broth, soy sauce and tomato paste. Stir to incorporate the tomato paste.
- Add the bay leaves and cover with lid.
- Set the crock pot to high and cook for 6-7 hours; or on low for 10-11 hours.
- Shred the beef with two forks, pulling with the grain of the meat.