Don’t you just love when you take a dessert to a party and end up being the rock star?! When adults and kids are oohing and aahing you know you’ve made something good. That’s exactly what you get with my Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Blondies…
I made these lots of times wanting to get the right amount of sweetness, chocolate and texture. Oh boy, the first time I made these I could have drank a gallon of milk! They were way too rich for my liking. Then, one time I took too much away and they were good on sweetness, but not moist enough. I finally found that if I ground the oatmeal into a flour I could get the flavor I wanted in a moist bar.
I love using oatmeal in recipes. It is a heart healthy grain, that can help reduce your cholesterol levels. Making oatmeal flour is very easy to do. I like to toast the oatmeal to really bring out the flavors. From there just pop it in the food processor and grind it to a fine meal. Add the all-purpose flour and combine the two together and you are done. I use greek yogurt to cut the fat of the butter (not pictured). The yogurt also makes these blondies super moist!
- 1 cup old fashioned oats, toasted
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup 0% plain greek yogurt
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare 9 x 13 inch baking pan with cooking spray and flour.
- Toast in a large skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of butter, about 6-8 minutes or until golden. Transfer to food processor and pulse until ground into fine meal. Set aside.
- Using electric mixer cream the butter and sugars together. Add eggs one at a time and beat until light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla extract. With mixer on low add yogurt, blend just until combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, ground oats, salt, and baking soda.
- With mixer on low add the flour mixture to combine.
- Fold chocolate chips into batter.
- Spread batter into pan and bake for 12-15 minutes. Use a toothpick to check for doneness. When it comes out clean the blondies should be done.
These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Blondies are soft and full of chocolate. A cold glass of milk goes perfectly with these little gems.