When I was young my dad would come into my room and say, “time to make the donuts.” He meant it’s time to get up and get ready for school. This morning, I caught myself saying that to my son. 😀 Funny how things stick with you. I think it is a phrase from an old Dunkin Donuts commercial. Anyhow, this morning I decided I would make some doughnuts…
I love pumpkin year round, but seeing pumpkins everywhere makes me want it more. Combine two things I love…pumpkin and doughnuts…and I am in heaven! Pumpkin is definitely healthier than doughnuts, but my version is healthier because they are baked not fried. Aside from being baked, pumpkin is super nutritious. It is an excellent source of fiber, vitamin A as beta-carotene, vitamin C, and potassium.
I had to put my little ghost gourd into this photo. My super creative and talented friend grew and painted it for me. Isn’t it the cutest?
Another cute thing is the smiling faces you’ll see when these pumpkin doughnuts come out of the oven. Whether you choose to roll them in cinnamon sugar or not these are equally as delicious!
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a mixer to combine the pumpkin, eggs, vanilla, sugar, and oil. Mix until combined and smooth.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices with a whisk.
- With mixer on low, slowly add the flour to the pumpkin mixture. Mix just until incorporated. Do not over-mix.
- Coat a doughnut pan with nonstick spray. Fill each well about ½ full. Use back of spoon or small spatula to smooth out batter.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Use a toothpick to check for doneness. When it comes out clean they are ready.
- While doughnuts are cooking combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, set aside.
- Remove doughnuts from pan and gently toss in cinnamon sugar. Cool on wire rack.
Pumpkin doughnuts!! These are beyond amazing! They are tender, moist, and practically melt in your mouth. I love the wonderful pumpkin flavor in these baked doughnuts. By the way, is “doughnuts” or “donuts” the correct spelling? Either way, you’ll want to hurry and make these as quick as you can.