Around this time of the year you can find fresh locally grown strawberries everywhere…and I love strawberries! Who can resist their sweet smell, bright red color, and juiciness? Surely, not me. 😀
I like to use strawberries in a way that highlights their fresh sweet flavor. Shortcakes are great for featuring strawberries, they really let the freshness shine through. I love lightly sweeten, tender cakes topped with strawberries and whipped cream. My recipe for shortcakes uses greek yogurt to help ensure a tender cake.
That bright red color tells you strawberries are full of great antioxidants such as anthocyanins and flavonols. Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C, manganese, potassium, magnesium, vitamin K, folate, and fiber. There are great benefits from consuming strawberries…Vitamin C works as antioxidants to help protect the body from free radicals and the potassium in strawberries helps regulate blood pressure. The polyphenols in strawberries can help regulate blood sugar, which can lower your risk of type 2 diabetes.
Calcium 23 mg
Potassium 220 mg
Vitamin C 85 mg
Vitamin A 17 IU
Vitamin K 3.2 µg
Strawberries do not ripen after picking so choose strawberries that are firm, plump, free of mold, and which have a shiny, deep red color and attached green caps. Strawberries with green or yellow patches will likely be sour.
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp butter, chilled and cubed
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- Sparkling sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Fresh Strawberries
- Preheat oven to 425º. Line baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt with a whisk.
- Cut butter into flour mix using a pastry blender or a fork.
- Mix yogurt, egg and cream together in a small bowl, add to the flour mixture. Stir together with a fork until it comes together. If mix is too dry add more cream, one tablespoon at a time until mix will form into a ball.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured counter-top. Press into a even circle about ½ inch thick.
- Use a round cookie cutter (2½ inch) to cut out shortcakes. You should get at least 12 cakes from dough.
- Place 6 shortcakes on prepared pan, brush tops with heavy cream and sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake 8-12 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Add ingredients into electric mixer with beater attachment. Beat until cream forms stiff peaks.
You will love these shortcakes because they are made with greek yogurt. The yogurt helps make a rich and tender cake that when paired with fresh sweet strawberries and fresh whipped cream creates a dessert that says spring is here.
Just before baking, I coat the tops of the cakes with a little cream and sparkling sugar. It adds a bit of crunch to the cake and the perfect amount of sweetness.
This dessert is perfect for entertaining. It is simple, elegant, and has wonderful flavors.
Enjoy Strawberry season 😀 I’ve been having lots of fun making dishes including strawberries… you should also try my Spinach and Kale Spring Salad, it makes for a great lunch or dinner salad and my Strawberries and Cream Cheesecake Pancakes are a healthier option that taste amazingly delicious!