I am loving kale and constantly looking to use it in different ways. When I was a kid, my Mother would make a dish that had ground beef and cabbage. It was simple enough and full of flavor so, I decided to re-work her recipe using ground turkey and kale.
Kale is a good source of fiber and it’s loaded with antioxidants such as lutein, zeaxanthin, and beta-carotene.
Kale is a cruciferous vegetable, that can lower cancer risk when it’s chopped or chewed because it releases compounds called sulforaphanes. These compounds help to eliminate carcinogens from the body. Raw or steamed kale can bind bile acids, which can lower cholesterol levels. Another bonus is by regularly eating steamed can lower your risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer.
Vitamin A 10,302 IU
Vitamin C 80 mg
Vitamin K 547 mg
Lutein and Zeaxanthin 26.5 mg
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 6 cups baby kale
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ⅔ cup water
- In a large sauté pan with lid, heat oil over medium high heat
- Add ground turkey and cook until browned. Drain any liquid from pan.
- Add onion and garlic, cook stirring frequently until onion is translucent, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Layer the bell pepper and kale. Sprinkle with salt. Pour water on top of kale and cover (do not stir). Reduce heat to medium and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until kale is wilted and dark green.
- Uncover and stir together. Season according to taste. Serve on corn tortillas.
I like to eat this with corn tortillas. I heat them in the microwave. Dampen a couple of paper towels, completely cover the tortillas and heat for about 2 minutes.This makes the tortillas warm, soft and easy to fold.
You can top these with some salsa like the one I made, and they are even more delicious!
Talk about easy and healthy…these Turkey Kale Tacos are perfect for lunch or dinner. These tacos are full of fiber and loaded with antioxidants.
If you are looking for more easy ways to use Kale you might like this salad…
I also love this salad made with Kale and Spinach…