Getting dinner made quick is at the top of my favorites list. I really do love to cook, but there are some days when I’m tired or running late and having dinner done quickly is a must. For days like these, I lean towards skillet meals. They usually only require a few ingredients and come together fast.
I also try to limit how much we eat out. I find that most takeout food leaves me with a sick stomach or feeling bloated. I’ve had times where after a game my kids were ask to pick something up because it is quick. I’ll say no, come home, and whip up one of my skillet meals. A few times, I have had dinner made before they have finished showering.
My husband and I love enchiladas, but our kids don’t care for them. This skillet dinner is an easy way to get the flavors we love and not have the kids complain.
I love this dinner! The meat has those great Mexican flavors and has a little kick from the green chilies. The lettuce and tomato topping brings another layer of freshness to this dish. Every bite is full of big fresh flavors.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Fresh Roasted Tomato Salsa
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1(14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1(4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 6 corn tortillas, quartered
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat.
- Add the ground turkey and cook until browned.
- Combine the onion with the browned turkey and sauté until softened.
- Add the garlic to the pan, sauté just until fragrant.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes and green chilies, stir to combine.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, or until most of the liquid has reduced.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the meat.
- Next layer corn tortillas over the meat and let stand until cheese has melted.
- Serve topped with lettuce, cilantro, and diced tomatoes.