I love chips and salsa but, since moving I have yet to come across a salsa that I really enjoy. Luckily, on my last food-shopping trip I spotted tomatillos among the veggies! I just love, love Fresh Roasted Tomatillo Salsa. I picked up the other ingredients and headed back to make some salsa. This salsa is quick to make and is loaded with fabulous flavor.
Lime juice gives this salsa a zesty taste that perfectly balances out the spicy serrano peppers.
Tomatillos kind of look like little green tomatoes but they have a flavor all of their own. Tomatillos have a papery husk that covers it as it is grown. When choosing tomatillos look for ones that have a filled husk.
To prepare tomatillos in any manner, you first must remove the husk and wash the sticky coating from the skin.
1 cup chopped
Magnesium 26 mg
Potassium 354 mg
Vitamin C 15 mg
Vitamin A 150 IU
- 1 lb fresh tomatillos
- 3 fresh serrano peppers, stems removed
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- Preheat broiler. Line a baking pan with foil.
- Remove husk from tomatillos and wash them to remove the sticky coating.
- Place tomatillos, serrano pepper, and garlic on prepared pan.
- Place pan in the oven on the middle rack.
- Roast for about 5-7 minutes, turning once to get charring on both sides.
- Add roasted tomatillos, serranos (seed peppers to control spice level) to food processor. Pulse 2-3 times.
- Peel garlic and add to food processor along with cilantro, onion, salt, and lime juice.
- Pulse 5-6 times or until salsa is an even consistency.
- Makes about 2 cups
You will love this tomatillo salsa…it is a tasty salsa that is spicy, zesty, and full of fresh roasted flavor. It is the perfect salsa for fresh tortilla chips, on top of grilled meats, and enchiladas.
To read about the benefits of spicy foods check out my Hot Hoisin Chicken.