If you love asparagus and mushrooms you are going to have to add this to your “Must Make List” today!
Several years ago, I became obsessed with asparagus. Seriously, I could not get enough asparagus!! Every time I was in the grocery store or farmers market I was getting more asparagus. I would end up with 2-3 bunches at a time. So, with my obsession I was constantly looking for different ways to incorporate it into our dinners. I combed through years of magazines, websites, Pinterest. Then, one day I was watching the Food Network and Giada was making…you guessed it…Asparagus!!
Asparagus not only tastes delicious they are full of great nutrients. Asparagus are a great source of folate, vitamin K, A, C, beta carotene, and fiber. The tips hold the most nutrients and are loaded with antioxidants. All these antioxidants work as an anti-inflammatory, to help reduce the risk of chronic health problems like heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Asparagus is special because it contains glutathione, a combination of 3 amino acids that function as a detoxifying agent to help rid the body of free radicals and protects against some types of cancer. Eating asparagus can also help prevent cognitive decline by providing folate and vitamin B12. I’m all for more of that!
This dish is quick cooking, so you want to have everything prepped and ready before starting. The pasta takes about 10 minutes to cook to al dente. I like to start the pasta, wait a couple of minutes then begin making the asparagus and mushrooms. You want to be able to melt the mascarpone cheese with the warm pasta, so drain it (don’t rinse) and add to a bowl with the cheese right away. This will give you deliciously creamy pasta.
- 1 lb farfalle pasta
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lb baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 lb asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 4 oz mascarpone cheese
- 4 oz walnuts, toasted
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Prepare farfalle according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook just until fragrant.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the skillet, add the mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes to lightly brown.
- Add the cut asparagus, basil, and garlic salt to skillet. Toss to coat and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until asparagus is bright green and slightly tender.
- In a large serving bowl add the mascarpone cheese. Pour warm pasta over the cheese, stir to melt cheese.
- Add the asparagus mixture over the pasta and top with walnuts and parmesan cheese.
- Serve warm.
Oh my goodness…Asparagus and Mushroom Farfalle is a delicious combination of creamy pasta with crisp asparagus, savory mushrooms and crunchy walnuts! It makes your mouth and tummy happy. By the way this is another one of our favorite quick cooking meals for those busy school nights. Enjoy!