These cold winter days call for some “stick to your ribs” kinda food. Lasagna is one of our favorites, but it takes a some effort to prepare. So, on a busy weeknight I make my Creamy Skillet Lasagna. It has all the flavors of a lasagna that took hours to make.
I love this meat sauce, I also use it with spaghetti. It has great flavors that taste like it has been cooking all day. I sauté some onions and garlic, add the ground turkey and cook until it has browned. Drain off any liquid in the saucepan. I use campenelle pasta in this recipe. This pasta has a wavy shape to hold this delicious sauce.
A red sauce made with tomatoes and tomato sauce is loaded with lycopene. Lycopene is an antioxidant that protects our cells from free radicals, which cause cell and tissue damage. Cooked tomatoes have a higher concentration of lycopene than raw tomatoes, so this increases their nutritional benefit. 😀
I also use ground turkey in my recipe. I almost always use ground turkey instead of beef. I prefer its lighter taste and texture. Turkey can be lower in fat than ground beef, but you have to be sure to choose lean. Some ground turkey can actually have just as much saturated fat as ground beef. So, read your labels 😀
I love Boursin garlic and herb cheese! It adds flavor and gives this dish a delicious creamy texture.
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 12 oz campenelle pasta
- 4 cups water
- 3 oz boursin garlic & herb cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, sliced
- In a large skillet sauté onions in olive oil until soft. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add ground turkey and brown. Drain off any liquid.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine with browned meat.
- Add seasonings and pasta. Cover with water and gently stir to submerge noodles.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a medium low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Uncover and stir in boursin cheese. Top with mozzarella cheese. With burner off, let stand for a few minutes to melt cheese.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.
This is one hearty comforting meal perfect for any day of the week. It has the classic flavors of baked lasagna and the creaminess of my Turkey and Spinach Lasagna.