Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies are the standard cookie in our house. They are the family favorite and the most requested. Of course, I love them because it’s another chance to use oatmeal. With that said, every now and then it’s nice to mix things up.
A good chocolate chip cookie isn’t always easy to achieve. For me, a good cookie needs to be crisp on the outside and soft, chewy on the inside. It’s super disappointing when a batch of cookies come out flat. Sadly, since moving to a higher elevation, that is how most of my chocolate chip cookies have turned out. That is until now! These Brown Butter Chocolate Chip cookies are perfection!
Brown butter is so easy to make you just need to stay at the stovetop through the entire process.
Begin by melting butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once it is melted it will start to foam. The foaming indicates that the milk solids are separating from the butterfat and the water is evaporating. Gently swirl pan through this stage to ensure even cooking. The foam will begin to subside and the milk solids begin to brown. The color and aroma will change quickly at this point. Once you begin to smell that nutty aroma, remove the pan from the heat.
Transfer the butter to a heat proof bowl to cool. It’s especially important to remove the butter from the pan to prevent the residual heat from burning the butter.
Brown butter adds unbelievable flavor to these cookies! These Brown Butter Chocolate Chip cookies are delicious! They bake up perfectly crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside.
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- In a medium pan, melt butter over medium heat. Once butter is melted begin gently swirling for 1-3 minutes or until butter develops a nutty caramel aroma.
- Remove pan from heat and transfer butter into heat proof mixing bowl.
- Add sugars and vanilla to the butter and whisk until combined.
- Add eggs and Greek yogurt; whisk until fully incorporated.
- Let mix stand for 2 minutes, then mix on medium high for 2 minutes and rest again for 1 minute.
- Mix again on medium high speed until light and fluffy.
- With mixer on low, add in flour. Mix just until combined.
- Gradually add in chocolate chips into dough, mixing until combined.
- Drop rounded tablespoon of dough onto lined cookie sheet.
- Bake 9-12 minutes, or until golden brown.