Summer time is a busy time! I thought once the school year ended things would slow down. However, most nights I find myself rushing to put dinner together.
Somehow, time just seems to slip away and next thing I know it is 8pm. It’s nights like those that I really need something quick. That’s where these Meatball Sub Sandwiches come in handy.
They are quick to make and there is hardly any effort needed.
I bake the meatballs, so once I mix and shape them I don’t have to worry about them until the timer goes off. Easy, right? Not only do these taste amazing, they are made a bit healthier by baking the meatballs. I use ground turkey and oats to create these meatballs.
The sauce is super easy and delicious! You could use jar stuff, but why bother when you can make this quick sauce. It has such great flavors, you’d think it cooked all day.
We love sub sandwiches, but a meatball sub can be tricky and messy to eat. Have you ever had a meatball sub and the meatballs fell out or the bread broke? I tell you friends, that is not fun. Really, it ruins the meal for me.
So, to make eating easier I cut out a little layer from the roll. This makes a perfect holding spot for the meatballs.
I add the meatballs to the sauce to give them a good coating. Then place 3 meatballs and a little extra sauce in each sub. I sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on top and put them under the broiler for 3-4 minutes to let the bread get a little toasty and melt the cheese.
Yum, yum! These are delicious and always a hit in our house.
- 4 sub rolls
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup sweet yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 2 tsp each dried basil, thyme, and oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes in puree
- ¼ cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a large saucepan heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Add ¼ cup water to pan and stir.
- Add seasonings. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add meatballs to sauce, gently stir.
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Grind oats in a food processor into a fine meal
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients in a bowl; stir well.
- Shape into meatballs.
- Place on a pan lined with foil and coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until done (165 F)
- Cut out a small shallow layer in each roll using a small bread or your hand.
- Place 3 meatballs in each roll.
- Top with a little extra sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Place under broiler for 3-4 minutes. (Keep a close eye on subs so they do not burn.)